Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Wonderful Read!

I just finished reading a book that should be required reading for everyone. I sure most people have heard of Randy Pausch. He's the young professor from Carnegie-Mellon who gave a lecture in their Last Lecture series. Only his really was a last lecture as he has terminal pancreatic cancer. I would say he's dying of it but from the book, you realize that he is living with it. Yes, he's living on borrowed time but he is making the most of it. The book, The Last Lecture, expands upon what he said in his last lecture. It's all about achieving your childhood dreams. More importantly, it's about how you live your life now. I'm sure all of us have unfulfilled dreams from the past. I know I sure do. But it's what I'm doing now, in the present, that matters. This is something I've only recently learned. Too many regrets for things unaccomplished can make a person restless and unhappy. There was a line in a movie I watched recently about settling. The one gal said she didn't want to settle and the other one asked her what was wrong with settling if everything still turned out well? That got me to thinking that she's right. Who knows where I'd be if I had taken another path? Back to the book. I laughed and I cried while reading it. But the one thing that really struck me was that I've been an Eeyore all my life and there's a Tigger inside just waiting to come out. You'll have to read it to understand what I'm referring to. It's a book I plan on reading several more times. And I plan on giving copies to my family and friends. Buy it, borrow it or check it out from the library. I dare you to read it!

No comments: