Sunday, September 11, 2011

Do You Remember

where you were 10 years ago today?  9/11/2001.  I do.  I remember driving my son to his job and listening to the radio.  It was a gorgeous day here in Phoenix, blue clear skies, the summer heat having broken.  I remember the DJ coming on and saying a plane had flown in to World Trade Center.  They didn't know what it was but they thought it was a small plane.  By the time I got home, the second plane had gone into the tower and I knew then that it was no accident.  I turned the TV on and began watching the coverage.  It seemed so surreal.  Dave was actually scheduled to go on a business trip to Washington that day.  I couldn't convince him that this was not a good idea but he was determined to go.  He would not allow the terrorists to win.  Fortunately he never made it to the airport since the planes had been grounded.  I remember the horror of watching the towers fall.  I remember seeing the devastation at the Pentagon.  And I remember later feeling the pride that flight 93 fought back and won the first battle of the new war.  Even today, 10 years later, it's hard to remember without tears streaming down my face.  No, I didn't know anyone personally who perished that day.  But I feel like they are all my brothers and sisters.  We never know what life has in store for us.  So today, I'm gonna hug Dave a little harder and love my family a whole lot more and thank God for all He's blessed me with.

2 comments:

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

With me I was in a great mood.

It was my birthday and I was doing running around on the city bus that beautiful day.

Hearing talking while on the bus about the attack never realizing what was going on.

Seeing how as I got near the AZ state capital building down town how streets and buildings were locked down more than usual not realizing what was going on.

I get home to be told by hubby to watch the news that there had been a terrorist attack.

I then broke down sobbing watching all the terror.

I would then for the next 3 or 4 years never celebrate my birthday on the actual day it was painful to celebrate while others were grieving.

So that is when I started asking everyone to give my birthday wish to the world.

SO if you are reading this.

Please say hi, how are you, or even glad to see you to someone you do not know.

You never know that person could be thinking of committing suicide.

Just the thought that someone is glad to see them may just save their life.

Karen said...

i was on my way to work when the first plane hit and by the time we got there the second plane hit. I called home to Doug to put the news on, and do we send the kids to school, etc. they went to school as normal, i was at work calling relatives in NJ and Doug went on his normal elk hunt for 2 weeks. LOL Come to find out that one of cousins hubby works at the Pentagon(civilian side) but had a meeting across the street and other cousins hubby decided to go to his NJ office instead of his home office at the top of the World Trade Center. you talk about God was with them that horrible day. Still watching coverage, etc on tv to this day i break down and get goosebumps, etc