Saturday, April 14, 2012

So Sad

Let me start off this post by saying I usually don't jump on my soapbox too terribly often.  I prefer to do what is right and not get all caught up in uproars about different things.  But I've got to say what I heard yesterday really saddens me.  I've been a permanent member of Artecy.com for many years now.  I've downloaded a lot of her free to members patterns as well as bought some of her exclusive charts.  I am even currently working on  The Great Wave that she adapted for cross stitch.  I have a stack of her charts that must be a foot tall.  I'm waiting for retirement to stitch them.  So it really made me ill when I read that she was closing the members free patterns because of so much illegal downloading of her charts.  You can read all about it here.  It sucks to think that people will steal a designer's blood, sweat and tears that go into charting a design and profit off of it!  Why can't we all just play nice?  Now I realize that cross stitching has gotten more expensive recently with the advent of hand-dyed fabric and silk flosses.  But if you can't afford it now, wait till you can.  Save your change. You'd be surprised at how fast it adds up.  Use less expensive materials.  Do whatever you have to to avoid the illegal activities which are ruining our industry.  Pretty soon more and more designers will give up in disgust and then where will we be?  Consigned to working out of our stash, that's where.  And honestly how much fun would that be?  Seriously let's all do whatever we can to stop all this crap that is slowly strangling the creativity of this once wonderful hobby.

1 comment:

Shebafudge said...

I am with you on this. I didn't realise how widespread piracy was until recently. I was looking for a chart by an unknown designer and just typed the name of it into google. The first thing that came up turned out to be an illegal download site. After my shock I started emailing designers who has charts on there to see it they knew about it. Of the few that bothered to reply they were all well aware of it. I always buy my charts so thought I had 'discovered' a new site to browse. Needless to say I didn't download the chart from there!