Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wayback Wednesday

Okay, I've been doing the commuter/stitching things for a long time now.  I just never realized exactly how long it's been.  I found this last weekend when I was cleaning out an old jewelry box.
From the 80's!!
Way back in the 80's, when Prodigy reigned supreme (anyone remember those days when they gave you a floppy disc to load on your computer?), there were a group of stitchers who corresponded via a REC group.  We eventually coalesced into a semi-formal group calling ourselves Online Cross Stitchers.  For a couple of dollars you could buy the pin.  That way when you met up at a stitching festival, you could identify with someone you might have met on line.  Times sure have changed!  Nowadays with all the different Facebook groups, message boards, and bloggers out in the world, there probably is no need for a pin such as this one.  But it's fun to look back and see just how far we've come in the world of cross stitching.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I had no idea that online stitching communities even existed back in the 80s! Hard to believe how much social media has changed the stitching world.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Yeah I started with the online Bulletin Board communites things sure have changed, but then I've met all kinds of wonderful stitchers (like you) and made some lifelong friends I wouldn't of made if it wasn't for the internet!

rosey175 said...

o wow, that's amazing. I had no idea stitchy stuff went back so far on the Internet; it was unheard of in my rural area until the 90s, and that was town only. What a treasure!